Each summer, usually around the start of the school summer holidays, Benfleet Yacht Club run a sail training course, held over a 5 day period, for our Cadet members ranging from 8 to 18 years old.
The training programme follows the RYA Youth Training Scheme at all levels.
All of the training team are RYA qualified Dinghy Instructors, Senior Instructors and Assistant Instructors, with the majority being members of Benfleet Yacht Club.
Lunch, snacks and a full evening meal is provided each day. A great opportunity for our younger members to learn to sail, and great fun too.
Please be advised that as of 23/02/2021, we have reached our booking limit.
Members can still register, but applications made after this date will be added to the waiting list.
It may be possible that some already registered will cancel later on.
BYC Cadet Week 2021
Friday 23rd to Tuesday 27th July (both inclusive)
Planning of the 2021 BYC Cadet Week is subject to the Covid19 restrictions that may be in place at the time, but for now we have to remain optimistic that this event will go ahead.
Total cost is £155 per person if using a club provided boat, or £100 per person when using your own 'suitable' boat.
This fee includes snacks and refreshments throughout the day and a full evening meal.
Places are limited to 45 students. In the event that this course is over-subscribed; selection will be made based on each students past sailing record where applicable (at Sailing Committee discretion).
To register your "expression of interest"
Please go to the "Book Events" section on the BYC website (click here for a direct link). You will need to log into your Membership Portal to complete the registration process. Further guidance on how to make the process is detailed at the bottom of the "Book Events" page on the website. Once completed, your booking can be viewed under "Bookings and Allocations" within your Portal.
You will also be able to register new / first-time applicants ahead of submitting their application for BYC Membership.
No deposit or payment is required at present - fees will be invoiced nearer to the time of the event once we are certain that it can go ahead.
Unfortunately, the small print - terms & conditions for enrolling onto Cadet Week:
- Places are limited to 45 students, due to Instructor resources, boat availability and on-shore facilities etc. Places are allocated on a first come first served basis.
- Allocation of "Club Boats" will be prioritised to new first-time Cadets. After that, any remaining club boats will be allocated based on level and ability.
- Any "Own Boats" must be suitable for the course level applied for, in good order and adequately insured. BYC reserves the right to refuse use of an "own boat" if considered unsuitable.
- Minimum student age 8 years old at start of the Cadet Week (raised from 7 years commencing with Cadet Week 2020).
- To assist with the smooth running of the Cadet Week event, support from at least one Parent / Grandparent / Guardian is required: with minimum commitment to at least 1 weekday plus 1 weekend day per applicant. Jobs will be allocated prior to Cadet Week, by the Administration Team, and may be on or off the water subject to need.
- In order to comply with Insurance and Leisure Activity requirements, all Cadet Week participants must be enrolled as a "Cadet Member".
- Click here for to download the BYC membership application form.
- No exceptions to these rules will be made under any circumstances.