Each summer, usually around the start of the school summer holidays, Benfleet Yacht Club run a sail training course, held over a 5 day period, for our Cadet members ranging from 8 to 18 years old.
The training programme follows the RYA Youth Training Scheme at all levels.
All of the training team are RYA qualified Dinghy Instructors, Senior Instructors and Assistant Instructors, with the majority being members of Benfleet Yacht Club.
Lunch and snacks throughout each day are provided. A great opportunity for our younger members to learn to sail, and great fun too.
Advance notification of date for Cadet Week 2024
Saturday 3rd to Wednesday 7th August (both inclusive)
further details will be notified early in 2024
Total cost is £tbe per person if using a club provided boat, or £tbe per person when using your own 'suitable' boat.
This fee includes lunch, a cooked evening meal, plus snacks and refreshments throughout the day.
Places are limited to 45 students. In the event that this course is over-subscribed; selection will be made based on each students past sailing record where applicable (at Sailing Committee discretion).
To register your "expression of interest"
Please go to the "Book Events" section on the BYC website (click here for a direct link). You will need to log into your Membership Portal to complete the registration process. Further guidance on how to make the process is detailed at the bottom of the "Book Events" page on the website. Once completed, your booking can be viewed under "Bookings and Allocations" within your Portal.
You will also be able to register new / first-time applicants ahead of submitting their application for BYC Membership.
No deposit or payment is required at present - fees will be invoiced in full nearer to the time of the event.
To contact a member of the Cadet Week administration team, please click here to send an email
PLEASE READ "The small print" - terms & conditions for enrolling onto Cadet Week:
- Places are limited to 45 students, due to Instructor resources, boat availability and on-shore facilities etc.
Places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
- Allocation of "Club Boats" will be prioritised to new 'first-time' Cadet Week participants. After that, any remaining club boats will be allocated based on level and ability.
- Any "Own Boats" must be suitable for the course level applied for, in good order and adequately insured. BYC reserves the right to refuse use of an "own boat" if considered unsuitable.
- Minimum student age 8 years old at start of the Cadet Week.
- To assist with the smooth running of the Cadet Week event, support from at least one Parent / Grandparent / Guardian is required: with minimum commitment to at least 1 weekday plus 1 weekend day per applicant. Jobs will be allocated prior to Cadet Week, by the Administration Team, and may be on or off the water subject to need.
- In order to comply with Insurance and Leisure Activity requirements, all Cadet Week participants must be enrolled as a "Cadet Member".
- Click here for to download a copy of the BYC membership application form.
- No exceptions to these rules will be made under any circumstances.