Each summer, usually around the start of the school summer holidays, Benfleet Yacht Club run a sail training course, held over a 5 day period, for our Cadet members ranging from 8 to 18 years old.
The training programme follows the RYA Youth Training Scheme at all levels.
All of the training team are RYA qualified Dinghy Instructors, Senior Instructors and Assistant Instructors, with the majority being members of Benfleet Yacht Club.
Lunch, snacks and a full evening meal is provided each day. A great opportunity for our younger members to learn to sail, and great fun too.
BYC Cadet Week 2023
Wednesday 16th to Sunday 20th August (both inclusive)
The booking process for the 2023 Cadet Week should be open late in January 2023
Total cost is £tbe per person if using a club provided boat, or £tbe per person when using your own 'suitable' boat.
This fee includes snacks and refreshments throughout the day and a full evening meal.
Places are limited to 45 students. In the event that this course is over-subscribed; selection will be made based on each students past sailing record where applicable (at Sailing Committee discretion).
To register your "expression of interest"
Please go to the "Book Events" section on the BYC website (click here for a direct link). You will need to log into your Membership Portal to complete the registration process. Further guidance on how to make the process is detailed at the bottom of the "Book Events" page on the website. Once completed, your booking can be viewed under "Bookings and Allocations" within your Portal.
You will also be able to register new / first-time applicants ahead of submitting their application for BYC Membership.
No deposit or payment is required at present - fees will be invoiced in full nearer to the time of the event.
PLEASE READ "The small print" - terms & conditions for enrolling onto Cadet Week:
- Places are limited to 45 students, due to Instructor resources, boat availability and on-shore facilities etc.
Places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.
- Allocation of "Club Boats" will be prioritised to new 'first-time' Cadet Week participants. After that, any remaining club boats will be allocated based on level and ability.
- Any "Own Boats" must be suitable for the course level applied for, in good order and adequately insured. BYC reserves the right to refuse use of an "own boat" if considered unsuitable.
- Minimum student age 8 years old at start of the Cadet Week.
- To assist with the smooth running of the Cadet Week event, support from at least one Parent / Grandparent / Guardian is required: with minimum commitment to at least 1 weekday plus 1 weekend day per applicant. Jobs will be allocated prior to Cadet Week, by the Administration Team, and may be on or off the water subject to need.
- In order to comply with Insurance and Leisure Activity requirements, all Cadet Week participants must be enrolled as a "Cadet Member".
- Click here for to download a copy of the BYC membership application form.
- No exceptions to these rules will be made under any circumstances.
BYC Cadet Week 2020
Saturday 1st August to Wednesday 5th August (both inclusive)
Covering the RYA Junior Sail Training Scheme
Cost £155 if using a club provided boat, or £100 when using your own 'suitable' boat
Fee includes snacks and refreshments throughout the day and a full evening meal
Places are limited to 45 students. In the event that this course is over-subscribed, selection
will be made based on past year's sailing record where applicable (Sailing Committee discretion)